Flip two Republicans, Obamacare gets repealed. Retweet
Today is our last Action Item using the Educate the Powerful System. But before we say goodbye to it...
We'll get into to that in a moment. First...
On Monday, we intend to launch the new DownsizeDC.org website. With its' new Engagement Toolbox...
- Your letters to Congress will be easier than ever to deliver. If you've been having reCAPTCHA difficulties, those will be gone.
- You'll no longer have to copy & paste your Action Item out of this newsletter (but you will still do so today).
- More tools will follow, and they will make us far more effective. And that's important because...
We'll be making a HUGE announcement of significant progress sometime next week! Stay tuned. Now here’s today’s great opportunity...
Repealing Obamacare is tantalizingly close. But four announced or likely holdouts, on the Republican side, will oppose repeal. If that number was reduced to just two, Vice President Pence could break the tie. Then, repeal would succeed. The four Republican Senators are...
- Susan Collins, Maine - Announced No
- Shelley Moore Capito, West Virginia - Announced No
- Lisa Murkowski, Alaska - Announced No
- Rob Portman, Ohio - Suspected No
Strategically, we think this means...
That Majority Leader Mitch McConnell should have the vote anyway.
Republican Senators have benefited from promising to repeal Obamacare in four successive elections. They obtained a majority, then expanded upon it. And the GOP did so, in large part, because of a promise to repeal Obamacare.
These hold out members are playing a game of chicken. They should be required to follow through with votes that will expose them. They have a lot at risk too, but only if a roll call vote is called and they end up on record.
You should send a letter if you have a Republican Senator because...
FIRST, one of these four members is YOUR Senator. Give them pressure.
SECOND, you're in Kentucky, and you want to press Leader McConnell to hold the vote and get a "roll call."
THIRD, you have a Republican Senator, you want them to encourage McConnell and the Republican caucus leadership to follow through on the vote. Call the bluff of these Senators.
Today, we're going to give you two (2) sample letters to copy and paste. [Remember, you can write something in your own words or modify the letter we provide.]
- The FIRST letter is by Jim Babka. His Senator is Rob Portman, whose name appears on the list above. If your Senator appears on that list, you might want to use his letter.
- The SECOND letter is by Perry Willis. His home state has two Republican Senators. If you're sending your letter to a Republican, not on the list above, you'll want to use this letter. But fill-in the name of your Senator, if it differs.
The hardwired portion of our letter to Congress begins...
Repeal Obamacare without delay. Terminating Obamacare quickly will increase the pressure to pass a free market alternative.
After successive electoral successes, where the Republican Party promised to repeal Obamacare, I want Senator Portman to follow-through with a vote for repeal. I think his constituents deserve at least one vote on repeal, now that the GOP has what they claimed they actually needed -- a Congressional majority and the White House. I also want Mr. Portman to support Majority Leader McConnell's attempt to bring this vote to the Senate floor. I will be watching what you do. I'm sure others, especially Republican voters, will be observing, as well.
Republicans promised to repeal Obamacare. You need to keep that promise. You need to hold a vote to do this, even if it fails. Make those who oppose repeal take a stand and be accountable to their supporters. In short, do what you and your fellow Republicans promised to do in order to win elections.
-- END OF SAMPLE LETTERS--
- Send your letter to Congress
- Forward this message to friends you think might agree.
- Share this action item on Facebook and other social networking sites
- Please consider making a contribution or starting a monthly pledge to further our work
We'll see you next week with our new site and great news!
Jim Babka & Perry Willis DownsizeDC.org, Inc.